Modified Tue, Apr 06, 2010 02:24 PMMan arrested for murder mistakenly released
RALEIGH On April 2, the state department of correction released William Otis "Jabo" Bryant from custody after he had served a little less than a year in prison for multiple felony violations.
But before authorities at the Bertie County Correctional Center set Bryant free, they should have checked with the Wake County Sheriff's Office.
The sheriff's reported today that Bryant should have never walked out of prison unescorted. Instead, he should have been placed in the custody of Wake sheriff's deputies who had charged him and his brother in February with first-degree murder, authorities reported today.
Wake Sheriff Donnie Harrison said his office expected to receive Bryant on April 2. "We filed the paperwork," Harrison said today. "Somehow or another, it slipped through the crack." Officials with the N.C. Department of Correction were unavailable for comment this afternoon.
Bryant, 40, is wanted on charges of first-degree murder and possession of a convicted felon, Stephens stated in a press statement today.
The charges stem from the 1999 shooting of a taxi driver in the parking lot of West Lake Elementary School in southern Wake County, authorities reported.
The sheriff's office charged Bryant and his brother Eric Reney Bryant in February with the slaying of Anthony Jaboin, 24, who died of a shotgun wound to the face.
Bryant was behind bars at the time of his arrest for murder, serving a sentence for narcotics after he was convicted in Wake County, Harrison said.
The Wake sheriff's office did not realize there had been a mistake with Bryant's unescorted release until yesterday at 8 a.m."He's got family here. Maybe he will come back here and try to find his relatives. Maybe he will turn himself in."
Anyone with information about Bryant's whereabouts should call the Wake County Sheriff's Office at 919-856-6911.
> email@example.com or (919) 673-5036