I thought back to how my grandmother would have reacted to the news of a pregnant woman being killed, intentionally, by a man who had raped her 8 and a half months earlier in order to conceal his crime. "Impossible, don't say such things!" she would have said.
Without knowing it Mary Lauterbach may have played into the hands of her stepdaughter's killer by telling the world Maria is mentally ill, a compulsive liar, and had intended to keep the baby after months of talk about giving the baby up. "You can't raise this baby," the mother told her raped and terrorized daughter, right before Maria hung up the phone and bought a bus ticket out of town.
The murderer has left behind a note that at this time I believe said that Maria killed herself in his house and he panicked. If Cesar Laurean were to be captured alive (which I believe he won't) and brought to justice the capital defenders, Kevin Peters and Rick Miller will once again face off with Ernie Lee in court with a defense based on the documented testimony of the young pregnant Marine's own mother. "She was insane, came into the house ranting and raving about all kinds of things, waving a knife about, first shoving it at Mr. Laurean, a man on trial for his life, a man that was fixated upon by this QUOTE BIPOLAR COMPULSIVE LIAR who then finally as my grabbed at the knife, defending his own life, Ms. Lauterbach fell and fatally stabbed herself. Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, that sort of scene triggered the post traumatic stress disorder my client has been suffering since he was molested after his parents divorced...."
Laurean then cleaned up the house, hid the death from his wife, burned Maria's remains and after borrowing his neighbors shovel buried what was left of the once proud mother to be in his backyard before cracking under pressure and driving to the middle of the woods and blowing his brains out hoping his wife and child left behind will believe his fucked up lie.
"Impossible, don't say such things!"
All of these women died
Michelle Marie Young, murdered 4 months pregnant, unsolved
Jennifer Nielsen, murdered 9 months pregnant, unsolved
Janet Christiansen Abaroa, murdered first trimester, unsolved
Ebony Chatell Robinson, murdered 9 months pregnant, arrest of best friend's father
Kiawana Grace, murdered 8 months pregnant, cold case, arrest made in December
Then there is Cherica Adams, 7 months pregnant when pro-football player had her killed to avoid child support. Rae Carruth is currently in prison serving 18-24 years for the murder.
About 17 percent of pregnant women are victims of domestic violence
* Less than 7 percent of spouse abuse cases are adjudicated by court-marital. -Symposium on DV Prevention Research, 2002
* Rates of marital aggression are considerably higher than civilian rates, double, three to five times. -The War At Home, 60 Minutes, January 17, 1999; Heyman and Neidig. (1999).
* Recent estimates suggest that sexual assault in the military is experienced by 9 to 4 percent of female service members, depending upon the service branch. An earlier study conducted by the Defense Manpower Center indicated that 5 percent of female respondents and 1 percent of male respondents were victims of actual or attempted rape. -Department of Defense Sexual Harassment Survey, 1995
-Initial Report of the Defense Task Force on Domestic Violence, DoD, 2001
* 8 percent of female Persian Gulf War veterans in a survey reported being sexually abused during Desert Shield and Desert Storm.
* 30 percent of female veterans in a recent survey reported rape or attempted rape during active duty.
* 37 percent of women who reported a rape or attempted rape had been raped more than once; 14 percent of the victims reported having been gang raped.
* The number of cases treated at VA Sexual Trauma Centers include over 22,000 male victims and over 19,000 female victims of sexual trauma. -Veterans' Millennium Health Care Act, Preliminary Findings
* 3/4ths of the female veterans who were raped did not report the incident to a ranking officer. 1/3rd didn't know how to; and 1/5th believed that rape was to be expected in the military. Women who served in Gulf War I were the only group that did not consider rape to be an expected part of military life.